Do you dream of quitting your job and starting your own business? Of being your own boss? Here, Salma Shah explains – in seven simple steps – how you can turn your anxious 5am thoughts into a new business venture…
You’ve probably worked hard to get to where you are today. Years of studying, exams, long hours, managing work relationships and a salary which now gives you a fairly good lifestyle. But there is that heavy sinking feeling of gloom when you look around the office and picture yourself doing the same job with a slightly better title ten, twenty years down the line. So one plan is to coast along and have a more fulfilling hobby outside work. Thing is, it’s not enough -and you know it.
So what’s stopping you? You are absolutely terrified of not having the security and stability of a regular income. What if the business failed? You may even have commitments, people who depend on your salary. There are countless success stories of entrepreneurs quitting their jobs and going for it. But you are not a risk taker and not that person. Having no money is way too scary.
So what if you could start your business first and then leave your job? How is that possible when you have a full-time job? The answer is 5am and here are seven steps to how and why this is one of the most powerful times of the day for manifesting that dream lifestyle.
Turning anxious 5am thoughts into productivity
- 5am equals goal time. Got goals for your new business? Well, you should. And there’s no better time to review them and plan for them and do your goal tasks than first thing. You should have one major business goal you want to accomplish this week. And every morning, you should decide what one thing you can do today to move yourself further towards that goal. And then, if possible, do that first thing in the morning.
- Creativity guru Julia Cameron who wrote The Artists Way invented an exercise called ‘Morning Pages’ which involves filling three sides of paper with whatever is on your mind. Without analysing or being logical about it. Petty worries, soaring plans, angry tirades – anything goes. The pages must be done first thing, as soon as you wake up at 5. “You’re trying to catch yourself before your ego’s defences are in place.”
- If exercise is your thing, combine it with a business style podcast so you can get fit, burn calories and gain expert advice and ideas for your business. There are so many amazing podcast series out there full of great advice from PR for SMEs, setting up an online health business, earning passive income through e-courses.
- Create a vision board. This is a fabulously fun activity and it is something you can keep working on. Browse through magazines, newspapers and the internet to find images that resonate with your dream lifestyle. Only use those images that make you feel excited. The pictures can be stuck on a thick paper or poster board. Scribble inspiring quotations and have a photo of yourself in the centre of the board too. 5am is the perfect time to work on this.
- As you shift from an employee mindset to an entrepreneurial mindset, focus on your emotional relationship with money. Do you believe you deserve to be rich? What is your money blueprint – is it healthy or do you self-sabotage. How can you attract money if you don’t respect what it can do for you. Start working on this relationship now.
- Hire a coach, someone who can support you emotionally and practically as you make this transition. There is no point having a grand plan when irrational fear and issues will self-sabotage. A good coach will also help you figure out your sweet spot, i.e. what you’re passionate about and what you can be the best in the world at. Also, what can make you the amount of money you desire. 5am is a great time to work on your coaching exercises.
- Start building a social media profile. You don’t need a product or service yet. Blogging is a great way to create an online brand. It doesn’t have to be perfect the first time, in fact perfectionism will hold you back. The readers of your blog can be converted into customers later on.
About the author
Salma Shah made the transition from working in the tech sector to setting up her own business. Today she coaches clients who want to quit corporate life and set up their own business or redesign their career. She also runs a training business and has trained and coached thousands of people over the last 15 years.
Salma Shah on Twitter: @salma05
What are your 5am thoughts? And do you think you could use this time more productively; to start planning your own business venture? Speak to us in the comment section below…
Main image credit: bed and open door by The Design Chaser, open door Designspiration